Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Fathers Depicted as Idiot, Deadbeats and Criminals in Children's Books



A very good article from the UK on how almost all the children's books now depict fathers as clueless dimwits:


"As the penny dropped, I looked at all the other books I've been reading to my son. There's The Selfish Crocodile, by Faustin Charles and Michael Terry. It's about a male crocodile who wants everything for himself, thereby ruining the lives of all the other animals in the jungle. And, then, there's Giraffes Can't Dance, in which a giraffe called Gerald tries to dance and looks like a total idiot.
And something else began to strike me as I looked at these stories - the stories I use to introduce my son to the ways of the world. Not only were they full of bad male stereotypes - deadbeat dads, absent fathers, idiots, wimps and fools - but I have been totally colluding with them. It didn't bother me at all. Until I started to think about it, it had seemed normal to me"


Is this really how we want our children to think of fathers?

No comments:

Post a Comment